Welcome to the Multistars Forum, if you're new make sure to read the rules and remember to introduce yourself! Remember to Like us on Facebook!

Author Topic: [27/12/2012] Working too hard! Jay Chou's ankylosing spondylitis gets worse  (Read 1639 times)

Offline kelvin

• Mr Chopperman!!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jay Chou Studio
Translator: Ho (http://jaychoustudio.com)
Source: Rti

Jay Chou at launch press conference for Opus 12

Musical genius Jay Chou today held the Asia launch press conference for his new album "Opus 12". Jay Chou revealed, he doesn't know if it's because of the work load but this year his ankylosing spondylitis has flared up more that last year, it makes him worry that the condition is getting worse, so he will be taking more notice and taking care of his body.

He just finished the filming work for the movie "Rooftop", now he's rushing off to release a new album at the end of the year, this constant work has signalled red lights on Jay Chou's health.

Jay Chou said, his ankylosing spondylitis has flared up especially more this year, it's an illness that has no warning, once he is ill it'll be a week, there is pain in the neck, waist and buttocks, you almost cannot walk; in the past he just had to take a painkiller and it was enough, now he has to take 7 just to get the effect, it makes him worry that his condition is becoming more and more serious. Jay Chou said: "But this ankylosing spondylitis, I'm scared it's getting more and more serious, I'm worried it's getting more and more serious. (media: Has it flared up again this year.....?) Yes it has, it's so painful you just can't imagine, it's like being an old person, the feeling of being about 90 years old, when you bend your back you can't really walk, sleep, turn over, it hurts so much just moving a bit."

Even though he is enduring the pain of ankylosing spondylitis, Jay Chou still releases new work. His latest album "Opus 12" is officially released tomorrow (28th), the pre-orders in Asia have already surpassed 200,000 copies, the downloads put him top of the charts. Jay Chou said, even though the records market is not doing so well, but his attitude and persistence towards music remains unchanged!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:02:17 pm by kelvin »
The following users thanked this post: Emma, janl, Studio Era, j0yceann

Offline Studio Era

• View Profile
Omg Jay... I knew that this would happen. :(

Please, please, pleaseeeeeeee take care so then the painkillers wouldn't be relied on too much. It's not good to take too much pills. And 7?!!?!?! What da heck was he thinking?!!!! He can kill himself with over dosing. :(
Life is a Self Directed and Acted Creation.

Offline jaychoufanatic

• View Profile
Omg Jay... I knew that this would happen. :(

Please, please, pleaseeeeeeee take care so then the painkillers wouldn't be relied on too much. It's not good to take too much pills. And 7?!!?!?! What da heck was he thinking?!!!! He can kill himself with over dosing. :(

Is the condition getting worse, or is he building a tolerance to the painkillers? or both? i wonder what kind he's taking. if they're the opiate kind then he also has addiction to worry about. :( I'm really worried about his condition too. I wonder how he was able to dance so much and so well in his mvs.

Offline j0yceann

• Jay Chou ROCKS!!! <3
    • View Profile
I wonder how he was able to dance so much and so well in his mvs.

Knowing Jay, he will do everything to please his fans.  But please do take care of yourself Jay. 

I'm offering my service for free as his private nurse.. It would be an honor..

Offline jaychoufanatic

• View Profile
I wonder how he was able to dance so much and so well in his mvs.

Knowing Jay, he will do everything to please his fans.  But please do take care of yourself Jay. 

Just as long as he doesn't request a sponge bath right? Haha

Offline chie

• I'm just a music person
  • I love Jay and Show :)
    • View Profile
    • Support my story at Wattpad! Rewind fanfic

LOL people, are you all nurses/doctors/medics in training?

not my area of field anymore.. all that I can do for Jay was just to extract blood from Jay and processed it on our laboratory.. and checked if his cholesterol levels were getting higher..

Losing him was blue like Id never known
Missing him was dark grey all alone
Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you've never met
But lovin
The following users thanked this post: Studio Era

Offline silzpong

• View Profile
Omg.. Please take a good care of yourself. Have a rest!
I can't imagine him being so in pain. Too painful to even move a bit?! It really worries me.

It soo sad that an amazing person that makes amazing music has to endure such a pain :(

Offline jaychoufanatic

• View Profile
I can't imagine him being so in pain. Too painful to even move a bit?! It really worries me.

It soo sad that an amazing person that makes amazing music has to endure such a pain :(

It seems many people with talent like Jay's have something wrong with them. Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles were both blind, John Lennon was shot, Jay has spondylitis.  People with that much talent usually have something wrong with them or they die young. Btw, I thought they found a cure for spondylitis.

Offline chie

• View Profile

It seems many people with talent like Jay's have something wrong with them. Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles were both blind, John Lennon was shot, Jay has spondylitis.  People with that much talent usually have something wrong with them or they die young. Btw, I thought they found a cure for spondylitis.

uhmm.. There's no cure for that. because it's in the genetic makeup. Even surgery won't do any better.. Sadly Jay had that disease.. Just engage himself with a lot of exercise.. surely there's nothing to worry about :)

But lovin

Offline silzpong

• View Profile
yes I heard some kind of exercise can help.. Especially swimming, too bad Jay is hydrophobic.
I hope it won't get any worse and he can continue making good music..
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 11:14:42 pm by silzpong »

Offline gre3n_mermaid

• View Profile
Re: [27/12/2012] Working too hard! Jay Chou's ankylosing spondylitis gets worse
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 08:22:55 am »
Oh noooo..
I hope that it's not getting worse.
I feel greedy for wanting an album a year and concerts from him..

Offline j0yceann

• Jay Chou ROCKS!!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 10:43:23 am »

LOL people, are you all nurses/doctors/medics in training?

@studio: The thing is I'm a nurse in real life.:) That's my profession.

@jaychoufanatic: Regarding the sponge bath, it's part of my job.. haha.. I've done it several times to my patients in the Philippines but not here in the Emirates.

Its great right. Jay has fans from all walks of life.. Students, workers, professionals, etc. He has the ability to put all of us together. So amazing! :D
The following users thanked this post: Studio Era, chie

Offline silzpong

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 11:06:34 am »
And, despite of his back pain, he still try his best to write songs, concerts. He still smiles in front of us..
All to please his fans. Now everytime I listen to his songs, I feel his sincerity and dedication more.

Oh no I think I'm going to cry! Jay is the best! *tears of happiness* haha!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:10:14 am by silzpong »

Offline janl

• View Profile
    • Jay Chou: His Royal DIAOness  A personal take on the King of Mandopop, his life and his works, incorporating pics, vids and links to relevant websites and forums.
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 11:21:18 am »
Some quotes I've gathered about Jay's AS from various sources and which I posted on my Jay blog:

""Jay's worst affliction is his back, because of his ankylosing spondylitis. The pain can wake him up and he has to sleep sitting up. Initially, I got a shock."----- Xiao Mai, Jay's good friend and choreographer

From his mother's foreword in his book, Grandeur de D Majeur (circa 2003) comes this indication of how severe his pain could be: (Translation taken from Jay Chou Studio)

"Jay who doesnt smoke, doesnt drink, doesnt go to night stalls, the thing that worries me the most is his old illness - ankylosing spondylitis, sometimes when I see him in so much pain, even when he gets up from bed to go to the door, he takes 20 minutes, being his mother, I could only shout in my heart: God! Can I take the pain for him? My son seeing my reluctance, instead he comforted me: Mom, Im alright, Ill be fine in a moment.

And from the Jay Chou Studio archives, here's a quote about his back pain circa 2009, which also bears testimony to Jay's strong determination not to let AS get the better of him and that there are others who are much worse off than him:

" I still think I'm very lucky, no matter how much more it hurts, someone else will be hurting more than you, no matter how much more pitiful you feel, there's someone more pitiful."

I also found a good snippet from an interview during his promotions for Treasure Hunter where he talked about his AS:

"I'm not afraid of getting injured. I only worry that my back will act up when I have to film a scene. Even when I have concerts, I always hope that my back won't act up because I have to dance or perform. That's a constant worry I have. whether I'll be okay when I have to work. In Treasure Hunter, I was fairly lucky, my back only hurt for a couple of days. It's a good and bad thing, this back problem. Because of it, I didn't have to do national service and I got to do the things I wanted to do. I got to become a singer. I can't say I'm thankful but if it weren't for this problem, I may have gone into national service and then maybe I would not have become Jay Chou. So no matter how difficult it is, I accept it."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:23:56 am by janl »
"我不是醫生,也不是魔術師,但卻能讓音樂活起來。
I'm not a doctor nor a magician, but I can make the music come alive."

Check out my blog and Facebook Page, Jay Chou Diaoness at: www.jaychoudiaoness.blogspot.com

and https://www.facebook.com/jaychoudiaoness
The following users thanked this post: Studio Era, chie, j0yceann

Offline chie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 10:37:50 pm »

"I'm not afraid of getting injured. I only worry that my back will act up when I have to film a scene. Even when I have concerts, I always hope that my back won't act up because I have to dance or perform. That's a constant worry I have. whether I'll be okay when I have to work. In Treasure Hunter, I was fairly lucky, my back only hurt for a couple of days. It's a good and bad thing, this back problem. Because of it, I didn't have to do national service and I got to do the things I wanted to do. I got to become a singer. I can't say I'm thankful but if it weren't for this problem, I may have gone into national service and then maybe I would not have become Jay Chou. So no matter how difficult it is, I accept it."

awwwwwwwwwwww.. I love his humility :))) I wonder what Jay will look like in the military service.. maybe his hair would be like his role on Viral Factor

But lovin