The Multistars Forum, NTS and JCS will be closing down soon!

Author Topic: Official 13th Album Thread  (Read 15242 times)

Offline jaychoufanatic

• View Profile
Re: Official 13th Album Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2014, 09:43:43 pm »
How can Anyone not like Pronounced Clearly In One Breath? That song is so awesome! I can picture this song being put in a fight scene in a martial arts movie. The beat is just epic. Opus can't touch this album. In my opinion, it's his best since Still Fantasy or November's Chopin. The only thing I wished this album had was another heavy rock song like Golden Armor but maybe something more futuristic sounding, add a little bit of electronic music to it, but no autotune. Maybe my expectations are just too high lol. I have a very deep imagination. Maybe I should work on my own music and send it to Jay for inspiration, and then he'd say "Aiyo bu cuo!"

Offline YaJ

• why i do love jay so much
    • View Profile
    • http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm206/hooi19/08-JCS-Award-yaj.jpg
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2014, 11:05:44 pm »
always wondering only jaychou compose and sings different style of melody/rhythm (music equipment) in one song ?
does it mean he sings and records twice or 3 times in a song ? (coz got 1st , 2nd and at the end of song)
hmm, other singers also like that ? (usa & uk singers)

if u guys listening carefully, in 'mermaid' this song. first part and 2nd part of melody and the way he sings

02:33 = que yang the gan jue (after 'gan jue' lyric, he sings 'wooo...HOO') [ as his fancy, we pretty much know that he likes to 'HOO' since his first album)
03:02 = wu sheng de yan lei (at the end of song got extra melody , which 1st part & 2nd part dont have )

personally i really like this song when first time listening especially beginning of the song, coz he put whale sound and sea sound. behind of the song, also has 'whale sound and sea sound' melody along the song.
maybe influenced by 'secret' MV. hahaha

same with 'love bulgary', extra melody (music equipment from 00:52 to 01:23). silly me feel like he composed when filming his previous movie - rooftop :grin:

he put helicopter sound in 'kai bu liao kou' before , and other songs as well. if you guys know what i mean

i hope that didnt confused you guys. as my english is not really good. hahaha

no offence, he had written 'mermaid' to vivian hsu before. jjlin had composed mermaid this song for himself in his old album. but  personally still like this song though vivian hsu version was very good

not yet listen full album , but always wish he could compose another great song better than 'secret' . then will be epic . HOOOO ~~~
always listening to jay's songs.

Offline kuso

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2014, 07:36:10 am »

no offence, he had written 'mermaid' to vivian hsu before. jjlin had composed mermaid this song for himself in his old album. but  personally still like this song though vivian hsu version was very good

They just share the same song name, songs are completely different.
The following users thanked this post: janl

Offline kuso

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2014, 07:38:24 am »
How can Anyone not like Pronounced Clearly In One Breath? That song is so awesome! I can picture this song being put in a fight scene in a martial arts movie. The beat is just epic. Opus can't touch this album. In my opinion, it's his best since Still Fantasy or November's Chopin. The only thing I wished this album had was another heavy rock song like Golden Armor but maybe something more futuristic sounding, add a little bit of electronic music to it, but no autotune. Maybe my expectations are just too high lol. I have a very deep imagination. Maybe I should work on my own music and send it to Jay for inspiration, and then he'd say "Aiyo bu cuo!"

Totally not feeling this song, I am still deciding whether this or Mt Yangming is worst song of the album. Songs just gibberish to me with no tune to it and the beats don't match his singing. "Put your hands up" makes it worse.

Offline longlu

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2014, 09:58:27 am »
Songs like Listen to Fathers Words ,and what kind of man    are actually very easy for him to compose. 

The problem with his albums is that he always tries so many styles in one album.   

In fact,  most hip hop songs sucks, how many superb hip hop songs do you know?    I think Yang ming shan / Enchanting melody,  Xi ha kong jie, are ok, these type of songs usually don't have great tunes.   But I really like   Enchanting melody.  I usually won't listen to xi ha kong jie although it has great rhythm.

I would hope he one day group  all hip hop songs in one album, all r&b in one album, all zhong guo feng in one album,  raps /fast  songs in one album,   rock songs in one album, Jazz songs(  A Larger Cello is a great one) in one album. That way you always know what to expect.

I should also say  you can not  categorize   many of his songs,  you can find elements of different styles in one song.   It's better to be called Chou style.

My favorites are R&B songs like Mine mine,  SIGN LANGUAGE,   Raps like  Train Of The Four Seasons,   
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:52:23 am by longlu »

Offline jaychoufanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2014, 02:17:36 pm »

Totally not feeling this song, I am still deciding whether this or Mt Yangming is worst song of the album. Songs just gibberish to me with no tune to it and the beats don't match his singing. "Put your hands up" makes it worse.

Yangmingshan is definitely much worse. Pronounced Clearly is like a modern version of Ninja. I actually hated Ninja for a long time but then that song grew on me.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:22:32 pm by jaychoufanatic »

Offline jingling

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2014, 03:25:21 pm »
Just got a chance to listen to the whole album! Listen to Father's Words definitely sounded much better than the concert version I heard. The song grew on me already. My favorite song is Mermaid right now. I love the smooth ballad style, that kind of "drunken" melody is the best!

My least favorite is Pronounced Clearly In One Breath. I actually like Yang Ming Shan better for some reason, but I don't think I could listen to them on repeat. XD All the other ones don't have much of an impression yet, other than Extra Large Shoes, which was already out and I like it a lot.

I gotta listen to the album a few more times to get my final verdict on these songs. Overall, this album definitely exceeded my expectations. I really liked Opus 12 and I say this album is on par with Opus 12 if not even better.  :happy-roll:

Offline dmonic bryan

• Stand Tall Like a Flag
    • View Profile
    • Come here!!
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2014, 10:23:23 pm »
Can someone give me the track list of his Aiyo bu cuo! in english? please
Always think positivie - Joe.-

Offline jingling

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2014, 02:40:47 pm »

My unofficial translations after doing some research:

01. Yang Ming Mountain, yng mng shān (陽明山)
02. Secret Love, qīe i (竊愛)
03. What Kind of Man, sun shn me nn rn (算什麼男人)
04. End of the World Passing Traveler, tiān y gu k (天涯過客)
05. What Happened, zěn me le (怎麼了)
06. Pronouncing Correctly in One Breath, y kǒu q qun nin du (一口氣全念對)
07. I Want Summer, wǒ yo xi tiān (我要夏天)
08. Handwritten Past, shǒu xiě de cng qin (手寫的從前)
09. Extra Large Shoes, xi zī t d ho (鞋子特大號)
10. Listen to Father's Words, tīng b b de hu (聽爸爸的話)
11. Mermaid, měi rn y (美人魚)
12. Rhythm of the Rain, tīng jin xi yǔ de shēng yīn (聽見下雨的聲音)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:44:59 pm by jingling »

Offline kuso

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2015, 05:37:15 am »

竊 is Steal or Stolen, the rest are good translations.
The following users thanked this post: jingling

Offline jingling

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2015, 11:35:45 pm »

竊 is Steal or Stolen, the rest are good translations.

Thanks for pointing that out! I'm aware that "竊" actually primarily means "stolen", but the word "竊" can also mean "secretly" when used as a compound word such as "竊喜" (secretly delighted).

Here's why I decided to go with "Secret Love" for the song after analyzing the lyrics:

The lyrics uses the word 竊 to mean "stolen" in several parts of the lyrics. In most of these cases, the Speaker is saying that he will steal certain things (rather metaphorically) for his love interest. For example:

"我竊來了深夜 使你能好睡 盜走了歲月 讓你永不枯萎"
"I stole back the night, so you can sleep well. I stole away time, so you will never wither.

我竊來了安慰 使你忘了流淚 盜走了懊悔 讓你永遠無邪
"I stole back comfort, so you will forget to cry. I stole away regret, so you will never have guilt"

The Speaker does not steal love in any part of the lyrics. Instead, the Speaker proclaims:

"接近你偷偷輕輕悄悄 比深幽的星空還低調
你永遠不會知道 你的香味盜走了我的驕傲"

"Getting close to you secretly, lightly, quietly, even quieter than the dark starry sky,
You won't ever know that your aroma stole away my pride."

In this part, the Speaker is hiding his love for his love interest, secretly getting close to her and doing things for her even though she's totally unaware of it.

Since the other word in the title is "愛", then the compound word 竊愛" doesn't make too much sense as "Stolen Love" because the lyrics is not about someone who is stealing love, but someone who is keeping his love a secret. Instead of stealing love, he steals intangible objects for his love interest.

The lyricist probably meant to take advantage of the multiple meanings for the word "竊" to talk about both a secret love and convey images of stealing in the song.

I'm a native Mandarin Speaker but I'm not an expert with the language or lyrics. The title as "Secret Love" made more sense to me after looking into the meaning of the word "竊" and the overall meaning conveyed by the lyrics.

I may be completely off here, so I'd appreciate any feedback on my analysis and what might be better as the title given the context of the lyrics. :happy:

Offline kuso

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2015, 03:21:28 pm »
This is the list showing the popularity/ranking of each song from KKBox. Higher the list, higher times its been (re)played. Available here: http://www.kkbox.com/tw/tc/album/7YWUB9Wmfstcym0FK2Zr0091-index.html

What Kind of Man
Extra Large Shoes
Listen to Father's Words
Rhythm of the Rain
Handwritten Past
What Happened
End of the World Passing Traveler
Mermaid
Yang Ming Mountain
I Want Summer
Secret Love
Pronouncing Correctly in One Breath

Offline janl

• View Profile
    • Jay Chou: His Royal DIAOness  A personal take on the King of Mandopop, his life and his works, incorporating pics, vids and links to relevant websites and forums.
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2015, 03:11:54 am »
Haha....kuso was right.
I do like this album very much and it's on par with OPUS 12 for me.

Unlike longlu, however, I love that Jay has something for everyone in his albums as he has the capability to compose in different genres quite well, for the most part. It's more fun to listen to and I would not want an album ENTIRELY of ballads or rap songs.
The only genre of his I would want compiled in an album is his zhong guo feng.

Back to AIYO NOT BAD:

Extra Large Shoes has the best MV and never fails to make me laugh out loud at the beginning, with Jay and GPow's bantering. Gotta learn the dance. :)

Handwritten Past, Listen To Father's Words and What Kind Of Man are typical Jay Chou ballads and destined to be karaoke favourites. Yes, they may sound similar to earlier songs but Jay has that something special for each to make it stand on its own.

Qie Ai is very intriguing! I love the rap/cha-cha fusion and the chorus really gets to me! Very, very Jay!

Love the duet with Cindy (What Happened). Much prefer it to Smile (from OPUS 12). This one is a lot more catchy and hip with the rapping.

Tian Ya Guo Ke, as the token zhong guo feng song lives up to my expectations. I generally like all his zhong guo feng (with the exception of Lan Ting Xu, for some strange reason).

Mermaid is beautiful! The intro brings to mind Love In BC and it is such a soothing song. Mermaids are quite the in thing now so he's right up there with the trends. Love it when he croons "Oooh...." during the bridge.

I like his version of Rhythm Of The Rain, perhaps just because I love his voice more than Queen's (fangirl bias).

Now for the fast songs:

Sorry, jaychoufanatic, but All In One Breath is just not my type of song, although I admire how he can sing so fast. Thankfully, it's only about two and a half minutes long, but I tend to forward to the next track...lol!
Yang Ming Shan is not too bad; it's good for a concert and so is I Want Summer, which Jay definitely wrote with singing it in a concert finale in mind. ;)

All in, I think this album is a winner and we should see him at the GMAs this year. ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:13:49 am by janl »
"我不是醫生,也不是魔術師,但卻能讓音樂活起來。
I'm not a doctor nor a magician, but I can make the music come alive."

Check out my blog and Facebook Page, Jay Chou Diaoness at: www.jaychoudiaoness.blogspot.com

and https://www.facebook.com/jaychoudiaoness

Offline kuso

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2015, 12:31:56 pm »
Thanks jan, I totally agree that he has something for everyone in this album.

I need to rant on the MVs. They have dropped in quality over the years. All he does now is drop a bunch of money and make the set look good. There's absolutely zero "story" like his previous MVs. Its like he rushes them out. Also we don't want to see Darren anymore as the "lead" that does absolutely nothing. I was looking forward to Tian Ya Guo Ke MV but was very dissappointed. Nothing happens in it, AT ALL. Just some shots of people walking around. The Hip hop songs for past few years is all just cars (& scooters in Mt Yangming), dancers, girls & kids on a funky looking set now.

Except Extra Large Shoes, the other 4 MVs have been very boring. I also miss the 15 minute mini movies he used to do.

He should let other people who have more time direct the MVs(just NOT Fang Wenshan). Isn't he giving up directing movies anyway I heard. Not sure why though, Secret was great and Zhang Yimou said he will surpass him as a director one day. Probably because of the failure of Pandaman and Rooftop. I guess that rumour of him directing Initial D 2 is false. Didnt he have a dream of directing a Hollywood featuring DiCaprio lol ?