The Multistars Forum, NTS and JCS will be closing down soon!

Author Topic: Rank The Albums  (Read 2461 times)

Offline newjay

• View Profile
Rank The Albums
« on: August 02, 2014, 01:36:03 am »
Just for fun while we wait for Album 13 to come out.

1. Jay Album
2. Fantasy
3. Yu Hui Mei
4. Common Jasmine Orange
5. The Eight Dimensions
6. November's Chopin
7. Still Fantasy
8. On The Run
9. The Era
10. Capricon
11. Opus 12
12. Exclamation Mark

Ep and soundtrack songs (Live don't count)

1.Orbit/Locus
2. Broken String
3. Secret
4. Fearless
5. Golden Armour
6. Rooftop
7. Hero Chou
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:06:35 am by newjay »

Offline kuso

• View Profile
Re: Rank The Albums
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 09:31:51 am »
1. Novembe's Choppin
2. Fantasy
3. Still Fantasy
4. On The Run
5. The Era
6. Capricorn
7. 8th Dimensions
8. Ye Hui Mei
9. Common Jasmine
10. Jay Debut
11. Opus 12
12. Exclamation Mark

---

Interesting to note that even though you like his earlier works and I like his middler works, we both dislike his latest works..

I hope the new album can at least be above Opus and Exclamation

---

1. Rooftop
2. Orbit
3. Fearless
4. Secret
5. Hero Chou
6. Broken String
7. Golden Armour
12. Exclamation mark

Offline newjay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 11:26:02 am »
Yeah what i like about the early albums is the songs are not too"produced" and more basic sounding.He don't sound like a superstar,he sounds more like an everyday guy like you and me.But i can find something to enjoy out of his new album as well.

Repeating what others have said already,i think him instead of releasing albums every year,i think he's more focused on songcraft this time after mixed reception for his last two albums, he's taking his time to make this new album so it should be good.

Offline jaychoufanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 01:03:32 am »
Yeah what i like about the early albums is the songs are not too"produced" and more basic sounding.He don't sound like a superstar,he sounds more like an everyday guy like you and me.But i can find something to enjoy out of his new album as well.

Repeating what others have said already,i think him instead of releasing albums every year,i think he's more focused on songcraft this time after mixed reception for his last two albums, he's taking his time to make this new album so it should be good.

songcraft?

Offline newjay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:37:49 am »
I believe irregardless whether he is the lyricist or composer for the songs he definitely oversees the process and has the deciding power if it's good enough to be on the album.

Offline kuso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 01:09:24 pm »
I believe irregardless whether he is the lyricist or composer for the songs he definitely oversees the process and has the deciding power if it's good enough to be on the album.

He has much more deciding power over his latest few albums than he's ever had after he formed his company. Your list of placing his first few albums higher suggests quite the opposite contradiction.

I am sure he has much LESS deciding power on  Jay & Fantasy albums than on Opus & Exclamation.

I'm sure every single song he puts on his albums he thinks is good enough.  Just not what the fans want recent few years. He used to write near a hundred songs for each album and picking 10, he probably doesn't do that anymore since he has less time which probably explains the drop in quality.

Offline yoyo_icecube

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 08:06:50 pm »
I can't rate the albums as I always forgot the songs come from which album but I can rank the lowest one:

exclamation mark & opus12

the songs doesn't stick into mind even after repeating the cd thousands of times. im tired of tiring to memorizing the melody, I give up.

Offline longlu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 08:00:59 am »
No ranks.   All albums are great. Very hard to rank.   

Exclamation Mark is great for me.   Of course it's not as good as  Ye Hui Mei, Fantasy, Capricorn, the Era  etc.  But I like most songs in it.   I listen to all styles of music, so I have no problem understanding why he wrote some of those 'weird' songs.   I'm also aware that he have become super busy these years. I really hope that he can focus more on music, but that 's not realistic because his company need to make money.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:04:41 am by longlu »